Women's History Consortium RCWs
RCW 27.34.370 Responsibility 3
(3) Identifying short-term and long-term priorities of the consortium, with special
emphasis on short-term priorities relating to preserving historical information from
the last several decades before it is lost.
In order to fulfill this mandate, the Women’s History Consortium has set priorities for
two initiatives in 2006 to begin this process:
- a. Recent Women’s History Collections Initiative.
See description above on page 7, item #c.
- b. 1977 Ellensburg International Women's Year Conference Oral History Project
The WHC has contracted with a professional oral historian to conduct an oral history
project around the International Women's Year Conference in Ellensburg in 1977. This
was a significant event in the Women's Rights Movement. The Conference was
sponsored by the International Women's Year Commission, authorized and funded by
Congress in response to a United Nations initiative. Attendees expressed divergent
points of view, adopted policy resolutions, and elected delegates in Ellensburg. The
delegates attended the national conference in Houston, Texas in November, 1977 where
the policy resolutions from each state were considered.
Completed by July 1, 2007:
- 25 digitally recorded, proofread, edited oral history interviews—approximately 85 hours of recordings.
- Website introduction.
- Bibliography of resources on the 1977 Ellensburg and Houston International Women’s Year Conferences.