WHC Local Grantee
Local Grant Awards
Governor's Mansion Foundation
Voices of the Mansion
Washington Governor's Mansion postcard, 1910.
The Governor's Mansion Foundation is a non-profit and non-political organization founded in 1972 to furnish and maintain the public areas of the
Executive Mansion. With dedicated volunteers and generous donations, the Foundation is able to maintain the elegant furnishings, artwork and historic
heirlooms in the Mansion.
On August 1, 1908, the cornerstone was placed for the Governor's Mansion in Olympia, Washington. The structure was
completed in early 1909. Although a house has no voice, through the voices of those who have lived, worked, and volunteered within,
history can be told. The project, coordinated by the Governor's Mansion Foundation (GMF), is to interview the five
living First Ladies; the few remaining founding members of the Governor's Mansion Foundation; some of the early past
presidents and other key volunteers; as well as Mansion staff. Through oral histories, this landmark structure will be given many voices.
First Ladies interviewed:
Additional individuals interviewed include: